Over 10 years ago my sister Louise opened her own Irish pub in a small town in south west Germany called Landau. The town is a lovely university town surrounded by wine fields and vineyards. I visited once or maybe twice a year (normally at halloween) and have spend some summers over there while in college. Its an area of Germany that tourists would not think of visiting. When people talk about visiting Germany its mainly Berlin, Munich or Cologne, but Landau and the surrounding area is worth the visit!
Along with having some drinks in Brennan’s, there is so much more to do in the area!
- Walk around Trifels castle for its amazing view
- Visit Burg Landeck – which would be a much shorter trip!
- Burg Pfalzgrafenstein
- Day trip to Heidelberg – worth it just for the view from the castle
- Quick spin to Strasbourg
- Drive the German Wine Route
- Day trip to Nuremberg – on our drive to Berlin we stopped off here for a quick look around and some lunch. Sadly we didn’t get to walk around the old town but we spend most of the afternoon in the museum.
Restaurants and Bars:
- Red Chillies Indian restaurant outside Landau – with great cocktails!
- Visit some small local vineyards
- Raffaello’s – Italian restaurant looking over the Markt Platz
- Lemon – cocktail bar
- Beat Lutz
Things to do:
- Christmas Market is amazing – such a good night out to walk around the town, feels very festive!
- Tobolino – if you have kids this is a great place to bring them!
- Offenbach – small outdoor pool opened during the summer months
- La Ola – indoor pool
- Landau Zoo & Karlsruhe Zoo
Places yet to see: